Friday, April 13, 2018

Etc time - yipee


I’m getting up there in age.  Though I look much younger (heh, heh, heh) I will actually be of retirement age next year.  Wowzers!  I don’t plan on retiring, I love my job and since I’m doing a job share, I only work 2 days one week and 3 days the next with many an option of picking up extra shifts if I so choose.  But this is kind of off topic a bit so I’m trying to get back on.

A couple of signs of old age which not much is talked about is facial hair.  Ugh!  Yes, I have more and more hair growing on my chinny chin, chin.  I’ve been plucking on a regular basis but the number of hairs are growing and the plucking hurting more.  I think I’m going to have to take more drastic measure and have them waxed.  I’ve had it done a couple of times and it hurts – but at least it’s a hurt all at once like ripping off a bandaid.  It’s been a while since I’ve plucked and I took a look this morning.  Wither way I’m in a whole world of hurt in getting rid of those damn things.


 

I worked on the weekend and always stop at McDonalds to pick up a coffee.  But I was really in the mood for a honey dip donut on the weekend so I stopped at Tim Hortons.  Now I’m not a fan of their coffee and much prefer Micky D’s – but that donut was calling my name.  Much to my dismay when I got to the order window, they were out of honey dip donuts.  So I went with my second choice, chocolate dip too.  And thus began one of my rare complaints.

THP = Tim Horton’s Person

THP: “Sorry, we don’t have any chocolate donuts either.”

Me: “What do you mean you don’t have either honey dip or chocolate donuts.  You are a DONUT place.  By the very nature of your name you should have donuts.  It’s not even noon yet (the shift I worked was 12 to 8).  How can it be you don’t have any left?”

THP: “Sorry, it’s been very busy.”

(I knew he wasn’t really sorry, I could tell by the tone of his voice)

Me: I’ll just have a coffee then.” (I said disgruntedly)

When I got to the pick up window and still disgruntled, I really let him have it – will both barrels

Me: “You know I really don’t like your coffee, I much prefer your competitors but the only reason I came here was for the donut and you don’t have them.  I won’t be coming back here.”

THG: Again I’m sorry m’am

That because I bet he noticed my chin hairs and figured I was old, thus making it ok to call me m’am.  The story has a happy ending though.  When I whined and bitched my no donut story, one of my coworkers picked one up for me the next day.

Speaking of getting old, along with the chin hairs, my hair is getting grayer and grayer, not that anyone really knows this as I pay quite a bit of money to keep that gray right out of my hair.  But I’ve recently decided to embrace the gray and for a couple of sessions I’ve had blond highlights added to my faux red hair.  And I’m actually quite liking it.  And before I get rid of them, a number of my chin hairs are coming in gray too.

Has anyone else been bothered more and more that some of the great songs of the 80’s are being used in television commercials?  This is a trend that is really getting on my last nerve.  Car commercials are the worst.  There’s a new one that uses the song Wicked Games by Chris Isaak.  Mind you it’s a different singer singing it, but still.  But I think smoke may have started coming out my ears when I saw a commercial for Arby’s and they used the song Holding out for a Hero by Bonnie Tyler.  Whenever the word hero comes up, the )*%$# advertisers mute it and say Arby’s.  Like Holding out for a Arby’s.

NO.  Just no, no, no, no.  This is wrong on so many levels.  This is probably one of my favourite 80’s song and they are ruining it.  It’s iconic.  Even the video, which I posted a long time ago is iconic for it’s bad videoness.  To use it for a fast food commercial hurts me.


I’m a rare bird in that when I buy a book, I get annoyed if there is another book after and I don’t know there is one.  I like to keep track of how far I am in a book and if there are 2 or 3 included after the original book and I don’t know it, I’m completely thrown off in my counting.  I don’t like to read big books.  That’s one of the issues I have with Diana Gabladon books, too long.  So if I’m reading along and notice I’m only 15% or so done, I hmf. 
I don’t want to read a long book.  I lose attention and don’t give the book the attention it needs.  And then of course skipping to the end is a lot more difficult since the end of said book is actually in the middle somewhere.

Now having said this, I just bought a book where this is exactly the case.  But I know in advance it contains more books.  Plus the cover model is hot and even in my mid-sixties I’m all about the shallow.

Well, that’s it for my etc for now.

‘til later

No comments: