Friday, July 02, 2010

A Tough Time of Year



With two conventions/conferences coming up in the month of July, the first one starting (YIKES!) a week from today, I try my very best to curb my book buying as I never know which ones I might get. But with SO MANY books out in June, July and August, these are just some of the books I'm wanting to get.



As you can see, it's quite a list! And these are just the ones I want RIGHT NOW. As the month goes on and others post about books they've read and really enjoyed, the list gets longer and longer and longer. And when it comes to books I want, I'm not used to waiting; to seeing them on the shelves and telling myself no!!

And not only that, but Chapters just had to have a buy three, get one free promotion on. It has been tough, real tough I tell you, not to give into the seductive lure they have thrown out there. But I've been checking the authors who are going to be at either RomCon or RWA or both and there are quite a number who have the books I want.

So all I need to do for the next month is to make sure I don't drive the Chapters route on the way home from work and try not to check out their on line site to see if the books are in stock and I might make it. Maybe. If I stand firm.

I can do it!! I mean, it's not like I don't have books to read. There have been a few I couldn't resist getting, like Joanna Bourne's The Forbidden Rose. And of course when I saw Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas at Walmart - with a 25% discount - I just couldn't walk on by now could I??

But now I'm making if official. NO MORE BOOKS!!


Now I'll just have to see if I stick to it. It's going to be painful.

12 comments:

ReneeW said...

I have quite a few of those on my wishlist too AND I have a gift card to Borders burning a whole in my pocket (purse). The Forbidden Rose is at the top of my wishlist. You're so lucky to be able to go to all the book conventions.

Carolyn said...

That guy on the cover of Insatiable is malformed. Just saying ...

Jeeze, the word verification gave me a real word!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, I can't do it. I'm reading Captured by Moonlight and it's great. You should at least get that one!

azteclady said...

Kristie, you can do this. Just think of the many dozens of books that will be piled on tables at RWA, tempting... tempting... tempting...

You just don't want to run out of bookcases before then, you know?

Nicole McLaughlin said...

I feel your pain! I've already purchased both Tessa Dare and the Lisa Kleypas...and last night the new Victoria Dahl! And so many more. here is the sad thing. My husband just bought me an e-reader...but I just keep on buying paperbacks. i cant resist them. I'm so glad you reminded me of the next Jennifer Ashley...PLEASE let it be as good as the previous one.

Kristie (J) said...

Nicole: All I can say about your husbands very thoughtful, must know you well gift is 'uh, oh. I've calmed down somewhat, but I went wild when I first got mine. I have all kinds of books on the Kobo now - and a lighter bank account. But I'm banning myself from ebooks for a while too. At least I'm going to try :-)

AL: *g* That's what's keeping me going and giving me strength - the books I will be getting. And the thoughts that if I do break down and buy books and then see them free at either place, I'll be kicking myself knowing that book money could have gone to other books instead.

Anonymous: I'm reading Masked by Moonlight right now and really enjoying it (and that's why it's not up there) and I see that the author will be at RWA so Captured by Moonlight is definitely one I want to get!

Carolyn: *laughing* Well I did resize the pictures so maybe I deformed him - ah the power.
And it is odd to see real words when you get a word verification isn't it. I hate it though when the letters are all squished together and you have to figure out if it's a W or 2V's put together or if it's an i or a j.

Renee - and those are just the ones on my radar now. I usually add many more when I see reviews for them. Some months are better than others for books I want and June, July and August are usually the biggies for me.

Leslie said...

You can do it! When you feel like stopping at the bookstore, go home and start packing instead. Pretty soon you'll be in Denver getting all kinds of great books. :)

Wendy said...

Very happy to see Nancy Gideon with a new series out. She was local for me back when I lived in Michigan and she was writing paranormals back before they were "cool." I'm pretty burnt out on that sub genre, but I might have to pick up the first book at RWA since she's going to be there.

Outside of the Harlequins I've been getting via TGTBTU, I've done very well not buying much the last few months. I bought Open Country by Kaki Warner, but pretty much everything else I figured "I can wait for RWA" - and if I don't score it there, I'll order it via Amazon after I land home.

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy: Those are my thoughts too - though I do need to make a list of books I want so I can cross them off. And did you know Nancy Gideon is also Rosalyn West of The Men of Pride County fame? I don't know why - I must have something physcic in me, but when I bought that one I was wondering if it might be her. And I finished Masked by Moonlight - and don't know if I'll be able to hold off on her next one or not - I loved it.

Leslie: When the boys were kids, we'd let them open one Christmas gift on Christmas Eve. I think I might have to use the same kind of reasoning with the next Nancy Gideon book!! Review to come, but Marked by Moonlight was gooo-ooood.

Brandy said...

Ooh, could you, would you, pretty please do a review of the Leslie Parish book after you read it? I saw it today at BAMM and wanted it, but had a budget and had to leave it on the shelf.

orannia said...

I hope you have a wonderful time at the conferences Kristie and all the best with the book buying restraint! Maybe teh freebies at the con will help? 'Cause they don't count *grin*

nath said...

LOL, aren't you lucky that I didn't come visit you this year? LOL. Hope you get them all on the RomCon and RWA, Kristie!! and I'll send you a coupon for Chapters for the books you weren't able to get :P