Friday, December 18, 2009

Random Thoughts

subtitled

Ways to come up with a blog post when you got nothin'



I discovered something interesting the other day. I can type much faster if I don't rest my hands on the keyboard or the desk they keyboard is sitting on. If I hold them up, the words just fly by. I don't know if this is because I have to do it on the laptop or if it's always been this way. The only trouble is after typing (or keyboarding as it's called now) with my hands down for years now, it's a hard habit to break.

So You Think You Can Dance was much better on the results night thank goodness. It was back to two hours and had a lot of dancing to it. On top of that, Russell won and he was kind of who I was hoping for. Which leads me to another point......

(this is a long winded one) I was kind of following along on twitter and some people who were hoping for someone else to win, were very vocal in their opinion that "America got it wrong". Now I was pulling for Russell and thus happy that he won but if someone else had, like Jakob, I wouldn't have been thinking that kind of thing. Why is it that so many people think their opinion is the right one when it's an O.P.I.N.I.O.N.!!! How can an opinion be wrong? It's a thought!!
I have this coworker and we are different as night and day. I get along with her fine, but she is a - shall we say - very strong-willed - kind of gal. We are constantly getting into arguments because she insists the way she does things and thinks about things is the right and only way. I try and tell her she's not wrong in how she does things - for her. But for me it doesn't work as well. But she just doesn't seem to see that. And it's kind of interesting because I will argue with her. My sisters call me the whimp other whimps pick on - with some truth in that. I have a hard time standing up for myself when confronted with someone of a strong opinion. But not this coworker. Our arguments (or heated debates) are becoming somewhat legendary. I told another coworker just yesterday that it's actually quite a good thing I feel free to disagree with coworker A. By doing so, I feel empowered.

Some time agon now, Jane of Dear Author was twittering about the word game boggle. I used to love that game and many moons and computers ago, had quite a good one. But it got lost in the shuffle of saving files to move to a new computer and I hadn't played in years. But the other day, just for the heck of it, I surfed online for it and found a few games. I've now become addicted! So far I'm way below the average score - which only makes me play more to try and boost my average up. Now if only I could remember to type with my hands up - I'd be faster.

Another game on the computer I'm addicted to is Free Cell. I could play that for hours. I decided a while ago not to cheat and keep erasing the statistics when I didn't like them. So now I have:

Games Played: 2276
Games Won: 1972
Average: 86%

But with that many games played, it's taking me forever to move that average up to 87%. I think I've played over 100 games now without quitting and the damn thing hasn't changed. I check after every game.

Sometimes the worker bee in me argues with the queen bee. The department I work in is staffed 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, 7 days a week. We used to have to take turns working weekends but now there is someone who wants to work them - every one - odd duck. But 1 week out of 8, one of us has to work the 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm shift. The are the only assistants left after 6:00 pm and it can get pretty hairy in those 2 hours - specially on Friday nights. So this week I offered to switch my 10:00 am to 6:00 pm shift (my favourite) to 12 to 8 so there would be two of us to share the load.
WHAT WAS I THINKING???? Who offers to stay late and work on a Friday night????

And with that - my brain is now officially fried for the night! Once again, it was a very hairy Friday night. Though it was better I think with two of us - the other coworker who had the 12:00 to 8:00 shift tonight? - the one who I argue with - and we didn't get into it once tonight!

6 comments:

Katie Mack said...

I LOVE Sudoku, and when I discovered the games online I knew that I could be in danger of addiction. So I only allow myself to play the Yahoo Daily Sudoku. With that program you're only allowed to play one game -- whatever one it is that day -- so I can't sit there and play one after another. But I still get to play a little Sudoku.

Oh, and good for you for sticking up to your coworker!

Mary G said...

Hey Kristie
I see you are reading Paradise Rules. Are you enjoying it?
I love your random posts. They are never boring.

orannia said...

It can be so frustrating when people assume their way is the only way. But I think it's fantastic you offered to change your shift to be there with a co-worker!

nath said...

Right now, my addiction is Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook and I definitively need to stop playing. I know, I know, I said it before, but this time, it's for real. It's becoming way too time-consuming.

LOL, I played Free Cell for a while... I got into phase. at one point, I would play Minesweeper. My poor shoulder.

LOL, people with no life offers to stay late on Friday (no offense, Kristie!)... just like people with no life offers their Saturday evening to answer the three phone calls missionaries get at home --> that would be me. Having no life can be fun.

Did you have a nice week-end?

ag said...

Hey, Kristie,

If it's any comfort, I was addicted to Freecell for a while. But now it's Guitar Hero. Am trying to wind down though.

Kristie (J) said...

Katie: it's becoming scary now at how addicted I've become to Boggle. It's taking over my evenings now and when I'm playing it, I get more and more reved up - trying to become 'average' so by the time I go to bed, I'm almost vibrating!!

Mary: I am - but I don't think I could read a steady diet of these kinds of books. I find that the character development is a bit lacking in the ratcheting up of the sensual level. But once in a while - they are might fine ;-)

Orannia: It turned out to be a busy night - but we haven't actually made that change yet. I VOLUNTEERED. So the next coworker on that shift might not be so happy with me.

Nath: That's what I was thinking when I offered - it wasn't like I had anything better to do. I find Friday night horrid for television!!

Ag: *laughing* it took me 3 days to play the last game. I didn't want to give up as then it would take longer to get to that elusive 87% I'm aiming for. But I finally did beat it again - and still I'm at 86% - grrrrrr.