Saturday, October 24, 2009

So - why am I up at 2:00 am on a Friday Night?

It's not because I had a hot date.

It's not because I'm watching "those" movies :-0

It's not because I drank coffee to late in the evening.

Part of it is because tomorrow is Saturday and I can sleep in.

But the MAIN reason is I've been doing some heavy duty thinking the past day or two. And here is what I've been pondering.

I'm pondering on going to BOTH the RT Convention in Columbus Ohio and the RWA Conference in Nashville next year!!

For those who don't know, I went to an RT Convention a number of years ago and it was a good time/bad time experience. I went by myself and didn't know a soul. In order to save money, I signed up to share a room with 3 other people and while I'm compatible with just about everyone under the sun, that particular weekend I think I got matched with 3 other totally imcompatable room mates. Although we were all at a romance convention, amazingly enough we didn't have anything in common and I spent the majority of the convention on my own - which was a bit lonely at times. On top of that, for some peculiar reason, I didn't budget for food so I was a bit on the hungry side for a good deal of the time - not to mention I didn't have anyone to eat with anyway.

But there were enough good times that I'm very glad I went even though parts of it - the cover model contest - made me a bit squirmy for some reason. I like good looking men as much as the next red blooded woman - but I dunno - maybe there was too much focus on it or a group of women get a bit to undignified when faced with half naked hunks or something.

Fast forward a number of years. By this time I 'knew' fellow romance readers who were going to the RWA conference in Dallas. I had The Best Roomies in the world in Wendy, Sybil and Jane and the whole conference was probably one of the best times I'd ever had.
It was the same in San Francisco and in Washington DC.

So when it came down to choosing which one to go to, choosing the RWA Conference was a given.
But I was talking to Ryan at Thanksgiving and his attitude was 'if you want to go to both - then go to both!!' That got me to thinking 'hmmmmm'. But the real clincher is I got an email at work that I still have five days left of my 2009 vacation. We are supposed to use it up by the end of March but with permission, we can carry over up to 35 hours. That means I can carry 5 days over until April 28, if I take an early flight to Columbus on the Wednesday, take a later flight out on Sunday, this is the way I figure I can work it - Tuesday off to get ready, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday for the convention, take a later flight home on Sunday and then take Monday off to 'recuperate'. That way I still have all my 2010 vacation time left!

And the more I think about it - the more interesting I think it would be to compare the two. If I go to the RT convention, I will already 'know' some people. I know Jill has made it official that she's going.

Jane, Sarah and Angela are putting on a workshop.

READER: DEMYSITIFYING E-BOOKS & E-READERS

FRIDAY: Discuss e-readers, trends and where to buy the best e-book.
Hosted by: Angela James (Quartet Press) and bloggers Jane Litte from Dear Author and Sarah Wendell for Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

So they will be there. If I get lonely, I can throw myself on their mercy.

And there is a Trivia Pursuit event. Do you know how much I enjoy Trivia Pursuit???

READER: TRIVIAL PURSUIT

WEDNESDAY: Join us in a jumping Trivial Pursuit game and prizes
Hosted by: Jessica Andersen, Patricia Grasso and Hannah Howell

So I have a lot to think about. The money it costs terrifies me. My sisters tell me when I open my wallet, moths fly out of it.

But then again - the thought of going to both is almost irresistable!!

But it will cost so much!!

But to get to meet more readers in person!!

But it will cost so much!!

But think how interesting it would be to compare the two .

But it costs so much!!

But I can take my laptop to both.

So the thinking - that's what's keeping me up so late.

20 comments:

Tara Marie said...

Well, it's 4:00 am here and I'm awake too :)

GO for it. You know you'll have a great time. Between my schedule and budget it's not in the cards for me, but I can live vicariously through you and the other bloggers that go.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who stays up when I've got something on my mind....

How/where do you find this information on these conferences?

Kristie (J) said...

Patti: There isn't much posted about RWA yet - it's not until July, but here's the link:
http://www.rwanational.org/cs/conferences_and_events
As for the RT convention, it's in April and there's a lot more info online for it. Here's the link:
http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Summary.aspx?e=39f9fb57-5ebc-49a4-b572-a2316b792e98

And yep - my mind gets spinning and spinning until it's near impossible to relax enough to sleep.

Tara: For years and years we never took vacations - or if we did, it was.....camping *shudder* so that didn't really count as a vacation for me - more like a lot more work with a lot less conveniences for me. So the idea of doing something like this TWICE in one year is - well, it's revolutionary!!
And if I set myself stringent goals - like keeping the house clean at ALL times, then the RT can be my reward!!
AND - my cottage plans fell through this year - thus the extra vacation time left over......
See - already the justifications start *wink*

Mollie said...

RT is in Columbus huh?! That's where I live.... :) I may just have to check it out!!!!

Kristie (J) said...

Mollie: You could certainly save on traveling costs!! A big seller for the one I went to is it was held in Toronto - a two hour train ride away and I get to ride the train for free.

azteclady said...

I have been crunching numbers as well, 'cause... yes, I would love to go to both.

I don't know I can squeeze them out of the mostly-broke budget but I'm trying!

And having you there... well, it's such a cool incentive! :grin:






*starts figuring out how to squeeze some more pennies out of the budget*

Wendy said...

If you can handle it financially, I say you do both Kristie! If only to meet Jill :D

I want to go to RT at least once in my life, but they need to get their asses out to the west coast. I know they pick lesser "flashier" cities to keep cost down - but they don't need to land in L.A. or San Diego. For heavens sake - what about Phoenix, Santa Fe or Portland? Somewhere in the Pacific or Mountain time zones would be nice.....

Wendy said...

I shouldn't comment before I've had caffeine. "lesser" should have been "less." I'm not implying that Santa Fe, Phoenix and Portland are "lesser" cities. Just that they aren't as bloody expensive as L.A., San Diego and San Francisco. California as a whole is one big money suck.....

Mandi said...

I say do it! I hope to do RWA when it comes to NYC in 2011! Actually, Columbus wouldn't be a bad drive for me either...now you have me pondering ;)

Kristie (J) said...

Mandi: heh heh heh - maybe I'll have you sleepless tonight now ;)

Wendy: If I can only make one - if the justifications don't work - if I do leave the money in for my retirement investments instead of withdrawing some and probably paying a tax penalty, then RWA is the one - but the thoughts of both are looking better and better!! I'll have to talk to Ryan and my financial guy more.

AL - too meet you twice in one year would be 'da bomb! And in number crunching, if I share a room with 3 others, the cost isn't bad at all. I'll have to compare driving with flying - see what's cheapest. And with driving - I wouldn't have to pay shipping costs for bringing books back.... It would take longer, but I could take one day of 2010 holidays. And if anyone around my neck of the woods would want to travel together.....
Now you see why I was up so late *g*

azteclady said...

Driving: yes, I've been pondering traveling alternatives to flying, because the cost of hauling books back is just... gah!

Mary G said...

If it's about books a "true" Leo would spend the money LOL. Ran into another booklover at a UBS today & we both said the same thing. We don't smoke or drink(once in a while a bloody caeser)
and books is our only addiction.

vanessa jaye said...

I say go for it! You'll have a blast, I'm sure.

CindyS said...

I'm in the go for it crowd too ;)

If you didn't get your cottage vacation then RT sounds like just the right kind of balm ;)

Cindys

Anonymous said...

Kristie, as you know life happens and sometimes the unexpected comes along leaving all kinds of regrets. Or sadly your number comes up leaving you thinking why didn't I do those things I wanted too. So GO TO BOTH. Money comes and goes and the best use of it is to ENJOY your time with it. You only have one life so do the things you love if you can.
Lori Berry

Lynn Spencer said...

If it's something you will enjoy and you are able to do both, then I'd say go for it!

orannia said...

I think if it's something you want to do, then you should do it! I always worry about doing X, Y or Z and therefore end up doing nothing. So, I say go for it ;)

Jill D. said...

Well, you know how I feel! I really like what Lori Berry said. I think you should listen to her.

And Wendy, thank you for your sweet words - totally made my day! You see, Kristie J is like a celebrity in my eyes and for me to get to meet her in person would just be indescribable.

Kristie (J) said...

Jill: Well Lori is one of my 'Fanshawe Group' and I supply her with books so she can kick me in person if I don't go *g*. And aw shucks on your second paragraph!! Meeting you is a BIG factor in wanting to go.

Orannia:One of the things I decided to do was not to put off doing things I really wanted to do, so I'm up to about 89% sure I will do both!!

Lynn: I think most people wouldn't understand me wanting to go to TWO romance book centric vacations - but thank goodness fellow romance lovers understand the draw - heh heh

Lori: Wise words *g* It sure would give me something to talk about at our next get together wouldn't it *g*

Cindy: I'm thinking more and more that I will *g* Today I checked out driving versus flying. I think I'll do the driving route this time. It's a five hour drive going one way and seven the other according to Google Maps. But I think it would be cut down even shorter if I go through Windsor way. Google maps says Sarnia, but then that adds two more hours. So - I think it would be closer to a four hour drive.

Vanessa - I know I'll have a good time :-) I had quite a good time when I didn't know anyone - but knowing people will guarantee it. And I have so enjoyed the RWA conferences.

Mary - books is my addiction that's for sure. And now book related events are quickly turning that way too.

AL - I think this time I will drive - it's close enough

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristie:
I agree with Lori totally! Go to both and enjoy!!