Sunday, September 07, 2008

Another Recent Read

I'm just churning them out aren't I?

Hostage to Pleasure by Nalini Singh


Why this one: I’ve read and really enjoyed to one degree or another her previous Pys/Changeling series


Steam Level: Woah – better be careful – this one can burn you


Author Web site Blurb: Separated from her son and forced to create a neural implant that will mean the effective enslavement of her psychically gifted race, Ashaya Aleine is the perfect Psy--cool, calm, emotionless...at least on the surface. Inside, she's fighting a desperate battle to save her son and escape the vicious cold of the PsyNet. Yet when escape comes, it leads not to safety, but to the lethal danger of a sniper's embrace.

DarkRiver sniper Dorian Christensen lost his sister to a Psy killer. Though he lacks the changeling ability to shift into animal form, his leopard lives within. And that leopard's rage at the brutal loss is a clawing darkness that hungers for vengeance. Falling for a Psy has never been on Dorian's agenda. But charged with protecting Ashaya and her son, he discovers that passion has a way of changing the rules...

My Thoughts: As I said up above, I’ve enjoyed all the books in this series – some more than others. I gotta say that so far this one is my favourite. It is REALLY good!

So – what makes it so good you ask?

Well first off the hero Dorian is great. Although a sentinel in the Cat Clan, he has never been able to ‘change’. Although this is hard for him to accept, he has and in doing so, has made himself better in all other areas. He is still reeling from the loss of his beloved sister and is horrified that he is strongly attracted to a Psy – and not only a Psy – but one who has been a member of the hated Council. At first he is almost cruel to Ashaya after he saves her and is made her guardian, but Ms. Singh writes his character so well, that we don’t really blame him for his treatment of her. He still manages to be charming with her at times. He makes for a wonderful wounded hero who is really thrown for a loop. But once he accepts his feeling for her, he is all alpha protective of both her and her son.

Secondly Ashaya is a great heroine. She never really fell victim to The Silence – something that all Psy’s are forced to partake of in their youth. She is a very complicated character and Ms. Singh unveils all her fascinating layers slowly until we see the vulnerable, strong rebel underneath – the woman who has had to hide her basic nature all her life. She is very loyal to those she loves including her psychotic and truly frightening twin sister.

The suspense with it’s twists and turns in this book build upon themselves and it got to the point where I could hardly bare to put it down as Ashaya is torn between her growing and passionate love for Dorian and her loyalty to her sister, twisted and broken as her sister is. As we progress in this series, we see that there is so much going on in this fascinating world that Nalini Singh has created.

If you haven't tried this series or this book, you really must. While I'm still a bit confused about the Psy Net, as long as I don't struggle too hard to understand it, this is a wonderful series. It gets a hearty Thumbs Up from this reader!!


Grade: 4.5 out of 5

9 comments:

Carolyn Crane said...

Great review. I haven't read it yet - I'm on #2, but it's nice to hear this is your fave!

Kati said...

OH yeah, I loved this one. I said in my review at RNTV, I think this is the most emotional book so far. What I love about Nalini is that her writing hasn't dropped off at all. Each book just keeps getting better and better. And Mercy is up next! The excerpt at Nalini's home page is SMOKIN'!

Kristie (J) said...

MK: I read that excerpt!! It is smokin' isn't it? And *whine* we have to wait so long for it.
And isn't HTP great??? It is very emotional isn't it? I think it's now a toss up who my favourite Singh hero is - Judd with his very cool exterior yet oh so passionate inside or Dorian with his oh so reluctant possessiveness. And I'm glad that we agree on this one *g*.

CJ: This is a real great series. A lot of the time I start getting burned out when there are too many books in a series (such as the BDB) but the world she has created just calls for more and more books. I heartily recommend you keep going :-)

KT Grant said...

Love Dorian and his tendency to want to bit Ashaya whenever he sees her.
But I am a freak because I have this crush on Kaleb who Nalini says is very, very, very scary. Me thinks Nalini should write about a changeling named Kate who tames the scary Kaleb.
So, if Nalini is reading this, she knows what to do ;D

azteclady said...

I agree, this one is GREAT!

And I want more Kaleb and more Ghost and more Anthony and more... :grin:

Just more!

KT Grant said...

Now, AL, don't be poaching on my Kaleb! We will have a cat fight over him!! :P

Kristie (J) said...

If Dorian wasn't already taken, I'd happily settle for him *g*.
I'm confused about Kaleb now *g*. Earlier I thought he was a good guy in hiding, but after reading HTP, the waters around him seem to be a bit muddier!

KT Grant said...

Nalini is sneaky that way. After reading Mine to Possess, something was up with Kaleb. I believe he is the anti-hero and I adore those men. :D

CindyS said...

Wasn't it just a great book? I loved it - have to say Judd is still my fav but Dorian is a close second. I'm waiting for Hawke's story because his mate died when they were kids. I think he'll be surprised when he discovers he can have another mate - he seems so lonely even though he is surrounded by pack.

And Mercy's excerpt - smokin'!!!

Cindys