Thursday, July 24, 2008

I can barely stand it Now!!

So – it’s official. I am now bona fide bouncy! I’m blogging from work – a real big no no for me but I’m so not in the mood to work. I’m too excited and I do not feel like working. At. All. Thankfully we have a summer student in to help us and she is picking up all my slack.

I decided that I would go full out for this trip and get a manicure/pedicure/ eyebrow wax. I’ve had one manicure in my life but never had a pedicure. Let’s just say although I think I will go again, this first one wasn’t the most pleasant of experiences. You combine LOTS dead foot skin, especially around the toes, a client who yelps at the slightest amount of pain, pain that removing LOTS of dead foot skin, especially around the toes and it’s not that good a combination. Add to that I had to hold my legs in positions I don’t normally hold them and people who told me what a relaxing thing a pedicure was, lied. On top of that I felt I was in that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine thought they were all laughing at her because she didn’t speak their language. The name of the salon I went to was Lotus something so you can take by that it was a very similar situation. I’m overly protective of my toes and legs – odd I know – but true and I was sure they were making fun of them – what will dead foot skin and all. But it was well worth it as I catch glimpses of my beautiful dead skin free, very nicely coloured toe nails. The manicure went much better though. I have beautifully matched toe and finger nails. The only problem with the manicure was I was so paranoid that I moved my hands v e r y s l o w l y and didn’t dare put on a seat belt in fear of them all chipped. And I prayed all the way home that I didn’t get pulled over by the cops for not wearing my seat belt. I would have been annoyed as hell paying the fine, but even worse would be explaining that I was wearing my seat belt because my nails were wet.
As for the eyebrow wax, well just as she was finishing up my nails a bunch of people who had appointments came in and I think she forgot. Since I was already convinced they were all laughing at me, I didn’t mention that part and when I got home, I ripped quite a few of the offending eyebrow hairs out myself. Not as good as a professional job and probably more painful but they still pass muster.
But if I’m this excited today – tomorrow is going to be a killer!!

One more thing that different than last time. Last year I told everyone I was going to a writers conference. This year I'm telling them I'm going to a Romance Writers Conference!

17 comments:

Jill James said...

Kristie, I've been to National twice so far, I've pitched to a good dozen editors and agents, and I still get all excited about going. I'm getting my mani/pedi on Monday. Doing the happy dance here too.

Kristie (J) said...

Jill, hopefully yours won't hurt as much as mine did - the pedi. She pulled some LIVE skin along with all the dead skin - and I jumped and did a quiet yelp and the sucking in the breath through my mouth thing. Relaxing it wasn't :). I'm pretty sure I'll go back though as my toes look so pretty at the moment.

LorelieLong said...

Heh, I'm stopping tomorrow after work for the whole pedi/eyebrow thing. :)

Though if I were you (or Kristie J) I'd go find a new place. When I get 'em, pedicures don't hurt, but my feets still end up looking purty.

ReneeW said...

LOL, Kristie, we are so much alike :) I had my very first manicure/pedicure last Friday (the day before daughter's wedding). But mine didn't hurt fortunately. The bride and her bridesmaids all were there too. All the workers were speaking Chinese (I think) and laughing and visiting with each other. But we doing the same thing (only in english). I was kinda concerned they were laughing at us too. Hope you have a great trip to SF.

sula said...

woot! We will be in SF so soon!!!

Pedicures just scare the bejeezus out of me.

CindyS said...

I'm with Lorelielong - you need to try a different place! I would be pissed if the pedicur - uh - ist took live skin with the dead!

When I had my first pedicure I fell in love with my cute little toes. My hubby couldn't help but laugh at the way I would put my leg up and admire my toes ;)

You have seriously come out of your 'romance' shell. You go with your bad self ;)

CindyS

Christine said...

I'm so excited for you, Kristie!!! You're going to have the BEST time!! I want to be a fly on the wall when you and Katie meet for the first time. :)

*hugs*

p.s. I've only had one pedicure ever as well and it was last summer. I loved it, but I just don't splurge on things like that.

KT Grant said...

I rather have a 2 hour massage and facial :D
Sometimes I love to be pampered :D

JenB said...

My feet are ticklish, so the salon ladies always get a kick out of all my squirming and giggling while they're scrubbing with the pumice stone. It's really embarrassing. I'm afraid I'm going to kick one of them accidentally.

But I loooove pedicures. *sigh*

I've had crazy mean ones make me bleed though. That sucks.

Brie said...

I love getting pedi's! I wish I could get one every two weeks, alas only every other month works for my purse. Have fun in SF, Kristie.

Sarah said...

I love pedi's too! It is too cold for exposing toes at the moment though!!

pidute said...

never had a pedi but i went for a manicure once and the woman asked me if i was joking :( (well that's understandable i have literally i millimeter of nail )still i wanted nice nail for once ,they lasted a day ,they didn't stick sniff....

nath said...

I never had a pedicure or manicure... am I weird? LOL :)

Anyway, I'm soooo excited for you!!! I wish I could have gone with you guys!!!

LorelieLong said...

I'm now wondering how I got it in my head that this was a post from Katiebabs. . . and realizing that makes my comment look strange.

Anonymous said...

*Last year I told everyone I was going to a writers conference. This year I'm telling them I'm going to a Romance Writers Conference!*

Whohooo!! Can't wait to start reading all your reports on SanFran! I think your pedi/mani prep work is a great way to channel that excitement lol.

Kate Diamond said...

Yay! How exciting!

I wanted to go to the conference this year, but I'm getting married instead... seems a fair trade, don't you think? :)

Tracy said...

omg I love pedicures! Sorry you were in pain...they shouldn't hurt! lol