Sunday, November 18, 2007

What is True Love?


I have been thinking a lot lately, especially as I do my laundry today (and wondering do I really have to separate my light clothes from my darks?) what is considered true romantic love? I use to think that true love was, boy meets girl, they are overcome with passion, boink each other (repeatedly) till no tomorrow, realize they are in love and they decide to go off and get married and I assume through more years of boinking, they have a ton of children.
But through my reading travels I have read so many different types of romantic love, and more lately it seems to be male on male love and in some cases male, female and male love. And yes different life forms and plant form (and you all know my opinion on that!) as well as everything else in between.
But my view has changed on love. I no longer assume when reading a romance that it is that old boy and girl relationship. There are so many romances out there that can include friendship that is close to a bond as a romantic one can get. Two friends can be soul mates also.
One example I can come up with is the show Nip/Tuck. This show is my ultimate guilty pleasure. Don’t bother me on Tuesday nights because my soul purpose for that night is to watch the crazy adventures between two best guy friends. Some of you may have heard of the out of control storylines and characters, that include the two main characters of Sean and Christian who are plastic surgeons now relocated to Los Angeles, California. These two men are warped individuals. They can’t stay in positive relationships with women because they are so damaged and always mess it up. They sleep around with any woman they can get their hands on. These are what we call, "Duke of Sluts" in historical romancs. They are modern day slutty rakes.
Anything goes between these two. Heck, there was an on-going storyline about Christian who had a fiancĂ©e. He eventually broke up with her and she ends up sleeping with his son, (he just found out had a son which he always thought was his best friend Sean’s) getting pregnant and ends up marrying the son! And this is after years of having a sexual relationship with good old dad!
But besides the naughty and sometime disgusting actions these two men take, they are always there for each other. They have been friends for over twenty years and gone though thick and thin. Christian had slept with Sean’s wife the night before her wedding to Sean and because of that, she ends up pregnant, passing the child off as Sean’s son for almost twenty years. But Sean forgave Christian! They constantly backstab and use each other in ways only true love will let you forgive.
Last year it was implied that Christian may love Sean more than just male friendship, basically a Brokeback Mountain type move. If it had happened that these two became lovers, I wouldn’t be shocked or surprised. Their friendship is so deep and cemented that it is true love to the max. Maybe not the passionate, “take me and let’s have wild monkey sex” type, but a love that is just as consuming because these two men complete each other’s souls, more so than any romantic love with a woman can provide.
That is why I adore this show. And it always helps when Christian, who is played by the gorgeous actor, Julian McMahon has a habit of walking around naked in almost every episode and has the best butt I have seen in a long time!
Katiebabs (the one with the nice butt is on the right)


2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I can see why this show is a guilty pleasure *g*. I haven't seen it very often - they are constantly moving the time and night it's on here so I've only seen a handful of episodes. Interesting observation though so I can't say I know the characters all that well :)

Anonymous said...

I was watching this show when all that fiance and son stuff was happening, and I'm glad to hear Sean forgave Christian. And that fiance was evil!

I also love shows with strong best friend storylines. You see it a lot with women friends, but it really is so rare with men. I should check back into this show.