Sunday, June 24, 2007

What a great way to spend a weekend!! - Part 1

I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I was planning on taking the train to Toronto. It was supposed to leave at 4:50 and get into Toronto at 6:50 which would give me a little time to rest before we headed to Medieval Times for the 7:30 show.
But the train was LATE! I was standing in line at 4:50 and no sign of a train. 5:00 - no sign. 5:10 - no sign. By now I'm starting to panic thinking I was going to get there late and we'd miss dinner. As Lisa can testify - it doesn't take much to make me panic. Finally the train pulls in at 5:15 and by 5:20 we're off. I tried calling Ames and Nath about an hour later from the train to let them know I was on my way but a bit delayed. I'm still new to this whole cell phone thing and though I had their number, couldn't quite figure it out. I had the lady next to me (crowded train) trying to help, but she wasn't that much more knowledgeable than me. Thankfully I heard the song Blaze of Glory coming from my purse and it was Nath calling me wondering what was happening. I told her the train was late but I was on my way.
Then - just outside Union Station the train stopped. There was some kind of switch problem and it would be about 10 minutes before the train started again. By this time I'm in much deeper panic mode. I've always been a bit anal about being on time and these delays were messing with me.
But we finally made it right into the station and I quickly hopped on board a cab to take me to the hotel. Ames was waiting in the lobby and we went up to the room so I could very quickly change and meet Nath.
It was wierd. Right off the bat I felt like I'd know them for years. There was none of that awkwardness you can feel (well - me anyway) when you first meet someone. They are both sweet as can be and it was so great to meet them in person!!!
We headed right away for Exhibition Stadium where Medieval Times is located and made it just in time.
We sat in the red section and "our" knight was pretty fine we thought. He reminded Nath of Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. See for those who have never been, it's held in a big arena and each section 'cheers' for the knight that corresponds to that section. They have a set meal, soup, chicken, ribs, 1/2 a potato and a croissant for dessert. And everything has to be eaten with your hands - just like in medieval times - figures right? As we are eating they are putting on a show which includes horse trick demonstrations, a falcon demonstration and other things. Then the knights do their thing, games of skill on horses etc. Then there is a story of love and betrayal. You see the kings daughter is in love with one particular knight - and wouldn't you know it was our own red night. Then there are jousts and sword fighting. The red knight was the first to go down :-(
Then there was only one knight left. But he was betrayed by the villian and out of nowhere comes the red knight to save the day. It just seemed fitting somehow that it was "our guy".
It was a grand show and hopefully Ames and Nath will share their thoughts on it. Hopefully they liked it since it was my idea to go.
I have pictures, but they will have to wait until I figure out how to work the doohickey that gives me four ports since I toasted two of them and right now I need the two I have for the mouse and the internet. It will take a lot of thinking and/or concentrating - unless I can get Lisa to come and help 'cause she would figure it out in 5 minutes - me - it would take a good hour, hour and a half.

So I'll be back with further adventures, pictures and the (huge) list of books I got.

'til later

6 comments:

dancechica said...

I was cracking up reading about the fate of your knight! That sounds like it was a lot of fun. Can't wait to see pics! :-D

Wendy said...

It sounds like you guys had a great time! We have a Medieval Times out here - it's just the sort of thing my Mom would probably get a kick out of - so writing that down as an idea for when the parents visit in September. I haven't been since a trip to Orlando when I was a teenager.

Can't wait to see the list of everybody's books.

ReneeW said...

I've never heard of such a place but it sounds like fun. I hate being late and I know I would have been in a panic too. I'm enjoying reading everyone's reports. Looking forward to the next installment.

CindyS said...

I was 'mushing' Bob along too because I didn't want to be late.

Kristie's camera is fantastic but I'm thinking only Ames and Nath could figure out how to get the pictures!

Yes! You said it so much better about meeting each other.

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

DC: Well I had a feeling he'd be back since he was the love interest of the princess and all - and he was the first to go down. And of course the romance reader in me was delighted it was so *g*

Wendy: Oh it is ever so much fun. Campy for sure and these guys could take acting lessons from the wrestlers on WWE - but still it is a fun way to pass an evening and I thought it was a hoot.

Renee: I had to put on the MP3 player to keep me from yelling in frustration in the train station! And I could feel the BP rising. And mine's high enough to begin with!!

Cindy: Electronics *sigh* I have so many pictures and can't get them transferred. It's driving me crazy I tell you!! But when I do - when I do.....

Rowena said...

LOL, I love Medieval Times and was just talking with my best friend Mulu about planning to go there sometime this summer again since the last time we went was last year for her birthday.

Such a great place to go, especially with friends. Isn't it wonderful to meet people for the first time and instantly be comfortable with them?

It's the best!